Okay, so I’m going to be taking a quick break from tech on this article and will be talking about tequila. Why? Because I’m talking about Jose Cuervo, one of the world’s oldest and most popular brands of tequila. And they’re launching something called Dons of Tequila, a global search for the next hero of tequila who has what it takes to continue the legacy of the 250-year-old brand. What does the winner get? Why, they get to fly to Tequila, Mexico to harvest their own crop of agave on the Jose Cuervo estate, blend it into a unique tequila and win the batch, labelled under their own name. Frigging awesome.
Dons are the real heroes of tequila – the people, past and present, who epitomize the expert craft, passion, and bravery required to make the world’s most popular tequila. Their unwavering belief in quality and in the spirit of tequila – true bonds, real friendship, and good times – is what keeps the brand’s 250 years of heritage fresh and relevant. These are the qualities that the bartender who will be named the next Don must embody to be worthy of the title.
The local leg of this worldwide hunt officially began last March 24. Aspiring Dons can join this first-of-its-kind challenge by uploading a photo of their signature tequila-based cocktail or shot serve at DonsOfTequila.com. Ten (10) bartenders will be selected to compete in the National Finals in July, where they have to show that they have the grit, passion, and cojones of a true Don.
“Jose Cuervo has, in over 250 years of family and company history, demonstrated the grit, expertise, and uncompromising passion for quality required to be and to remain the world’s number one tequila. Becoming a Don of Tequila is the ultimate accolade awarded only to those who truly deserve it,” shares Charles Wright, Senior Commercial Manager – Southeast Asia and India for Jose Cuervo International. “Bartenders from all over the country will really need to show the judges that they have the cojones to be worthy of being called Don.”
The local finalists will be guided by Jose Cuervo’s Dons of Tequila Mentors – veterans in their field and true Instigators – Prive Luxury Club’s cocktail bartender and Diageo Reserve World Class 2014 winner Jerry Miranda, T.G.I. Friday’s Genrev Bacasno, who recently bagged second runner-up honors at the 23rd Annual World Bartender Championship, and celebrated personality Divine Lee.
Jerry, Genrev, and Divine will lead a Bartenders Bootcamp, designed to prepare the ten for the National Finals, where their creativity, technical knowledge, and personality will be judged by the Instigators, together with the Jose Cuervo Brand Ambassadors. The winner will hold the title Don of Tequila in the Philippines, and will represent the country in the Jose Cuervo Dons of Tequila Global Finals for a chance to follow the footsteps of some of the world’s legends of tequila.
The Dons of Tequila Global Finals is a showdown of the best-of-the-best from each country, set against the Jose Cuervo distillery, La Rojeña, in the town of Tequila, in Mexico.
How to Join
- Visit DonsofTequila.com and create a new Jose Cuervo shot serve – a new way to serve a shot of Jose Cuervo Gold, or an innovative shot-size mix using Jose Cuervo Silver.
- Entrants must enter their details along with a name for their serve, an explanation of how they made the drink, and how it captures the spirit of the Dons.
- Entrants must upload a photo with the online form.
- Shortlisted entrants will be notified via email.
- Ten (10) finalists will be selected from all Philippine entries.
- The finalists will undergo the Bartenders Bootcamp with the Dons of Tequila Mentors.
- The National Finals will be held on July 6, 2015.
- The finalists will be judged against the following criteria:
- Technical Know-How
- Tasters Votes
- One (1) finalist will be named winner. He or she will receive:
- The title of Don of Tequila – Philippines
- Jose Cuervo products and premium items
- All-expense paid trip to Mexico to represent the Philippines in the Global Finals of Jose Cuervo Dons of Tequila.
To learn more about the competition and of all things Jose Cuervo, visit www.DonsofTequila.com. There you’ll find stories about the current Dons of Tequila, as well as a selection of drinks fit for a Don, crafted and demonstrated by head barmen from La Rojeña.