The Philippines’ most active volcano has been restless as of late and the government is already anticipating the Mt. Mayon emergency could last as long as 3 months. Thankfully, PLDT and SMART’s broadband services and wireless networks continue to operate in areas near Mayon. Engineering and technical teams are also on standby to ensure subscribers in the affected areas can still connect to their loved ones.
In addition, PLDT and SMART have set up Libreng Tawag, Charging, and WiFi stations in the evacuation centers near Mayon. That way, even displaced residents can inform their loved ones of their status, as well as coordinate assistance. It’s important to note that these services are being offered for free and can be found in the following locations.
- Guinobatan – Guinobatan East Elementary School
- Legazpi – Bagumbayan Central School
- Sto. Domingo – San Isidro Elementary School
- Malilipot – San Jose Elementary School
- Daraga – Upper Malabog Elementary School and Albay Central School
In addition, PLDT and SMART have compiled a number of disaster response and safety tips to help guide Albay residence through these trying times.